Tuesday, August 02, 2005

 

Please don't look at me I'm scared...

It doesn’t get talked about much, good-old social awkwardness. I actually have no idea what other ‘awkward’ people experience, and what, if anything, they would lump under this heading. Here are a few of my socially awkward moments and others that I think I may have recognised other people experience.
For some reason, when I’m walking down the street, in the park, or whatever, and someone is approaching from the opposite direction, the awkward feeling starts to kick in. I sort of look up, and make eye contact, then quickly look away. They may or may not do the same thing eg keep looking towards me, or away, but eventually I realise that I then don’t really know where to look all of a sudden.
I sort of pick out something around me and focus on it then proceed to pretend that I’m rather interested in it. It could be anything really, a tree, a dog tied up in the street, or a bloody spot on the wall. It doesn’t really matter, but it solves the problem of where to look. Other people look down at their feet as they walk past, or pull out their mobile phone and pretend their doing something on it. I like it when we both feel awkward, as it makes the situation so much easier to deal with as eye contact is eliminated altogether.
I recently started playing a game to amuse myself when I was walking somewhere, and that is to actually try to unnerve someone as they walk past. It was hard to start off with, as it meant breaking down these pre-conceived ideas of the ‘walking past a stranger phenomenon.’ It’s fun though; I hold eye contact until they have to turn away, and it feels like a small victory. I mean I don’t go to the pub to celebrate, but it’s still satisfying.
When I recognise someone on the street and they are say, a good 5 – 10 seconds of walking towards each other distance from me, the following encounter usually occurs: You recognise each other, smile and say hi, realising straight away that they can’t hear you, then find it impossible to maintain eye contact and look down, or around (see focus on a spot tip from before). Then, when the distance between me and the friend is conducive to actually being able to hear each other, that’s when I resume eye contact and the conversation is then allowed to start. This is so commonplace for me, especially down the street or at uni.

I find talking about to be a huge help, and if anyone has any contact details for an “I am walking past someone and don’t know where to look” support group, then that would be much appreciated. Don’t give me the details in person, where I have to meet you somewhere, as I’m sure I’ll feel awkward.

Comments:
i have the same problems as you, i don't know where to look when I'm on the street and a stranger is coming towards me...so awkward. And that "victory" thing is so true! I feel good when I "win" hehe :P
sometimes I think it happens to everyone...but I can't be sure...
 
Haha glad to know:
1. Someone can relate to this.
2. Someone is reading this!

Jock
 
hey i think this reply is like 2 yrs late but whatevr..haha am so glad to find like minded ppl here.i tot i was the only wierd one..and i do feel wierd walking past someone esp when its just two of us!
 
Hi Rachel,
I still get notifications from the page and it's great that you relate to this phenomenon. Two years later I still suffer from it!
Jock
 
Post a Comment

<< Home