Wednesday, November 30, 2005

 

Van Nguyen

The plight of Nguyen Tuong Van has been saturating the news for the last few weeks or so, and it sunk in the other day how unbelievably difficult it must be for his family, knowing that his death is imminent and only a miracle could see his life spared. Nguyen is going to be hung by the Singaporean authorities tomorrow morning at 9am AEDT, and I cannot help but feel, like so many other Australians, that I have been emotionally drawn into his saga.

Singapore is a sovereign state, and although I do not believe in the death penalty, we need to show some respect for the laws of another country, however I feel that respect and support are two different things and Singapore is no exception. Van Nguyen knew the risks, but to take his life is wrong.

I know that when I wake up tomorrow morning, Nguyen's execution is the first thing I will think about, and I'm pretty confident that I will shed a tear.

Comments:
I think this guy lives in Singapore... here is his take on it:
http://averagetosser.blogspot.com/2005/11/hypocrisy-abounds.html
 
Thanks Undecided Joe,

I think that guy is English, and I have no idea where you found him, but bai jove he is funny. I'm even going to link him I'm so excited.

The Singapore government has proved to be interesting, the hypocritical bunch that they are.
 
It was remarkable how well he dealt with his death. Perhaps his death will bring about some change.
 
As my name suggests I have been undecided about this whole thing so I put Nguyens name in the 'search all blogs' to find out what I could. That one just stood out because it wasn't vehemently anti or pro and he was talking from a researched view not just a personal one.

Incidentally, that's how I found yours too.
 
Scots actually... but I do live in South East Asia.

Interesting blog Jock - thanks for visiting mine. I'll link you up.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home